student visa

Studying in Australia

From 1 July 2016, all international students must apply for a Student visa (subclass 500) regardless of their chosen course of study.  Student guardians should apply for the Student Guardian visa (subclass 590). Family members of Student visa holders should apply for their own Student visa (subclass 500) if they do not currently hold a Student visa and want to join their family member in Australia.

Processing times

Processing times may be longer during these peak periods.  Applicants are therefore encouraged to lodge their application well in advance of their course start date and with complete documentation.

Evidentiary requirements

You should provide complete and comprehensive evidence that supports your application at the time of lodgment.  Applications may be refused if insufficient evidence is submitted to support claims.

Overseas Student Health Coverage (OSHC)

Your Overseas Student Health Coverage (OSHC) must cover the entire period of your intended stay in Australia.  The minimum accepted start date of OSHC is at least one week prior to course commencement in Australia as it is accepted that students will arrive at least one week prior to their course commencing.   If you already hold a Student visa, your visa may be cancelled if you do not maintain OSHC for the entire duration of your time in Australia.

Acceptable financial institutions in the Philippines

They will only accept evidence of funds from certain financial institutions in the Philippines which meet the definition of “financial institution” under Australia’s migration legislation.

Health requirement

You are encouraged to complete your visa medical examination as soon as possible after lodging your Student visa application.

Students undertaking nursing or health care courses are usually required to undergo a blood test as part of their visa medical.  Visa processing will be delayed if you do not declare in the online form that you will be entering a hospital environment.